Tuesday, March 22, 2005

CNN News

I picked up something pretty interesting on CNN this morning, specifically this quote from a story:

"...new research suggests many companies are still unaware of -- and ill-equipped to deal with -- the threat from cyber-criminals or malicious hackers."

It turns out that this "new research" was a survey conducted by WebSense of 500 IT managers in Europe. The survey also had some other interesting "statistics", but I'll leave it up to the reader to take away what they will.

Also, be sure to take a look at their Trend Report from the second half of 2004.

I think what I find most interesting is the quote itself. This holds true for some of the companies I've worked for in FTE as well as consulting positions, and I'm sure that just about anyone in this industry is going to have stories on both sides of the fence. Another source of information for this is any of a number of public mailing lists/listservs, as many administrators post from their work addresses.

When you add this to the drop-off in conference and training attendance over the past year or so, one has to wonder if we're on the right track here...

No comments: