Sunday, May 13, 2007

Forensic Visualization

A while ago, I ran across an interesting 3D visualization project called fe3d. I remember thinking at the time that this would have been cool to have when I was performing vulnerability assessments. Something like this would have made analysis a bit easier...going through ASCII logs can be a pain...but it would have also been a plus in our deliverables, allowing us to provide the data in a visually appealling way to the customer. I'd also used the old version of cheops before, as well.

I was reading Andrew Hay's blog this morning and came across an interesting post from O'Reilly SysAdmin that has to do with log file visualization. This looks very interesting. I haven't dug into the code content itself yet, but I have to ask...has anyone used this for log file analysis during incident response?

Some thoughts that I had:

1. Using Marcus Ranum's artificial ignorance, read in the IIS web server logs from a case, and compare the entries to the actual pages on the web server (yes, I understand that this would take a couple of phases). If a request is made for a page that exists on the web server, set the color of the dot to green. If the request is made for a page that doesn't exist on the web server (as with a scan), set the color to red.

2. Modify the code to use Event Logs, and tag certain events or records from each log with a particular color based on the event. Say, records from the Security Event Log get a particular color, or successful logins get one color and failed login attempts get another color.

I can see how something like this would be very helpful in visualization of data content, as well as presentation and reporting of the data that is found. I'm thinking more along the lines of reports to customers, but I'm sure that there are others out there who are thinking, "would something like this be useful in presenting data to a prosecutor, or to a jury??"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have a look at: secviz.org. It has a fairly nice collection of security data visualization examples.
-raffy

ME said...

Well, I cannot say I am 100% following the whole post, butI can say that in the past, I have color-coded timelines and log records within exhibits, and it definitely helpd the judges to understand what I was saying. Judges love pictures, not words, so anything graphical to engage them to see your point is a good thing.

-Scott