Sunday, September 23, 2018

First Review of IWS

The written first review of IWS comes from Joey Victorino, a consultant with the IBM X-Force IRIS team.  Joey sent me his review via LinkedIn, and graciously allowed me to post it here.  Here are Joey's thoughts on the book, in his own words:

I've been a fan of Harlan Carvey ever since his first release of Windows Forensic Analysis, 2nd Edition book years ago when I first entered the digital forensics environment. Initially, I had reservations that the new book "Investigating Windows Systems" would be a bit simplistic as I've read quite a bit of forensics books and attended multiple SANS Courses. However, I was wrong, and I really enjoyed this book - especially because Harlan Carvey is an awesome analyst. Essentially, it looks into different scenarios a DFIR professional will encounter throughout their career, by unpacking these scenarios through the eyes of a professional analyst. After the initial evidence is triaged it is then broken down into a conversation about the scenario, with clear examples of what the artifacts are like in this stage of the investigation and then provides practical examples in identifying actionable data and leveraging that as a pivot point to uncover more data. Because of the spread of knowledge, I found it very interesting and very useful to cover off areas where I was a bit unfamiliar with the subject matter. My favorite was "Chapter 4" as it went into Ali Hadi’s “Web Server Case” in a fantastic manner. I've been using this challenge as a method to train junior analysts and another IT professional moving into the DFIR field. His approach to solving the exercise was a great example, of being a consultant performing on-site DFIR with a focus on getting the answers needed quickly, and in a proper manner to be able to allow clients to make important business decisions. Overall, the greatest message learned from this book is that even though there are many different tools, the most effective skill a forensic analyst can have is being able to investigate properly, by analyzing the correct data, and using it to clearly answer the important questions. This would be an excellent book to not only have on the shelf but read and actively reference for DFIR practitioners of all experience levels. Joey Victorino – Consultant IBM X-Force IRIS

Thanks, Joey, for your kind words, and thanks taking the time to share your thoughts on the book. Most importantly, thank you for purchasing and reading my book!   My hope is that others find similar interest and value in what I've written.

Addendum, 26 Sept: Mary Ellen posted a review, as well!

No comments: