Thursday, January 26, 2006

In search of...

No, this isn't a flashback to that old Leonard Nimoy show...it's about training. I got an email last night (don't have permission yet to say from whom) that pointed me to CERT's Virtual Training Environment. It's an online classroom, of sorts, where you can go, select a class, and watch it.

So I checked it out this morning. I went to the "Welcome to VTE" page, and clicked on "Launch VTE". Within seconds, I was looking at a list of topics. I saw "Forensics and Incident Response" and dove right in!

Once the choices of "classes" appeared, I saw that I could choose from documents, demos, and labs. What you get when you run one of the demos is basically a movie. Someone has a screen capture utility running while they narrate what they're doing, and they walk through things. The first one I looked at was "Analyzing Log Files with Notepad". It was pretty basic, but also pretty straightforward and really easy to follow.

There were a lot of other demos available, not all for Windows...there are some for Linux, as well. What I found most interesting, though, is that there is a "Configuration and Setup of the FCU" demo (it's my FRU, just misspelled), and a "Configuration and Setup of the FSP" module!

There's quite a bit of info at this site. The "Forensics" topic includes demos on EnCase, Autopsy, the use of dd, etc. It's very informative...take a look when you get a chance.

No comments: