Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Scripts for parsing the Registry

I was working on a script recently to expand the reach of the Registry Analysis material in my upcoming book, and I thought it would be a good idea to implement something that would parse the audit policy from a system. So I wrote poladt.pl, a Perl script that uses the Parse::Win32Registry module to extract the necessary value from the raw Security file and parse it, displaying the audit policy as shown below:

G:\perl>poladt.pl d:\cases\security
LastWrite: Fri Sep 9 01:11:43 2005 (UTC)
Auditing was enabled.
There are 9 audit categories.

Privilege Use..............None
Object Access..............None
Account Logon Events.......Both
System Events..............Both
Policy Change..............Both
Logon Events...............Both
Account Management.........Both
Directory Service Access...None
Process Tracking...........None

Note: I added the little dots so that the output would line up better and be easier to read; formatting in the blog is a little beyond my current skillset.

Pretty neat, eh? You can compare this to the contents of the Event Logs (I still use the File::ReadEvt module that I wrote to do this, as the Event Viewer still reports the files as corrupted sometimes when you extract them from an image and try to import them into the Event Viewer on your analysis system). If I get any information about other values to parse out of the raw Security file, I'll add that to a script and call it "SECParse".

This script is will be found in the Bonus section of the DVD that comes with my book. Look for Windows Forensic Analysis from Syngress later this spring.

No comments: