Sunday, July 24, 2022

History Repeats Itself

It's said that those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it. I'd suggest that the adage should be extended to, "those who do not study history and learn from her lessons are doomed to repeat it."

My engagement with technology began at an early age; in the early '80s, I was programming BASIC on a very early IBM-based PC, the Timex-Sinclair 1000, and Mac IIe. By the mid-'80s, I'd programmed in BASIC and Pascal on the TRS-80. However, it wasn't until I completed my initial military training in 1990 that I began providing technology as a service to others; I was a Communications Officer in the Marine Corps, providing trained technical Marines, servicing technical assets, in support of others. I had been taught about the technology...radios, phones, switchboards, etc...and troubleshooting in school, and now I had to apply what I had learned, as well as continue to learn from the experiences of others.

My first unit was deployed to an exercise in Nov, 1990. We set up radio and phone communications as part of our plan, which included a TA-938 phone configured as a "hot line" (think the "Bat phone" from the '60s Batman serial) to another unit. The idea...and implementation...was that when someone picked up the handset on one end, the phone on the other end would ring, a red light would blink. It was set up this way, tested, and found to function as expected.

TA-838
Except when it didn't. As the platoon leader, I took overnight shifts and filled in on switchboard watch, etc. One night, we got a call from the operations tent that the hotline "wasn't working", so I sent one of my young Marines over to check the phone out. When he returned, he reported that the Captain in the ops tent had repeated that the phone "wasn't working", and said that they hadn't done anything to attempt to troubleshoot or address the problem themselves. The Marine continued by saying that they'd checked the batteries...TA-938 (the TA-838, similar in form to the TA-938, is shown on the right) phones took 2 D cell batteries...and found that someone had, indeed, attempted to troubleshoot the phone. An interesting aspect of the TA-938 phone is that both batteries had to be placed in the phone with their positive terminals facing up, which is something very different from what most folks are used to. The Marine shared that they'd ensured the correct placement of the batteries, and everything seemed to be functioning correctly but when they picked up the hot line, no one on the other end answered. 

About 20 minutes later, we got another call that the hot line in the ops tent wasn't work; this time, there was more frustration in the caller's voice. So, I went over and checked out the phone...only to find that the phone had been disconnected from the wires and thrown across the tent. Fortunately, the phones are "ruggedized", meaning that they are intended to take some level of punishment. I got the phone reconnected, checked to ensure that the batteries hadn't been tampered with, and picked up the handset...only to have the line answered on the second ring. I spoke with the person on the other end, explaining the "issue" we'd experienced at our unit, and found that there was only one person manning the other end of the hot line that night, and that they'd gone for a bathroom break, stopped on their way back to get a cup of coffee, gotten into a conversation while they were out, and had only recently returned to the tent.

The lesson I learned here is that technology most often functions as designed or configured, not as expected. If we don't understand the technology, then we may have expectations of the technology that are far out of alignment with its design. As such, when those expectations aren't met, we may declare that the technology "doesn't work". As someone providing services based on technology...Communications Officer, DFIR consultant, SOC manager, etc...we often need to keep this in mind.

Another lesson I learned that served me very well when I was a DFIR consultant was the Captain's statement that he "hadn't done anything" to troubleshoot the issue. Not understanding the technology, his statement was meant to convey that he hadn't done anything of consequence, or anything that was terribly important. I've also seen this during targeted threat actor/nation-state APT response engagements, where an admin will say that they "didn't do anything", when the evidence clearly demonstrated that they deleted Registry keys, cleared Windows Event Logs, etc. Again, these actions may be part of their normal, day-to-day operations, things that they normally do as a course of business; as such, it doesn't stand out to them that their actions were of consequence.

And it's more than just lessons in technology and it's deployment. History also provides us with, among others, lessons in working with others. Some refer to this is as "leadership", but in my experience, those who talk about leadership in this way often present it as a bit one-sided.

When I was in military training, we'd have various exercises where we'd leave the school house and go out into the woods to actually do that things we'd learned. One of my favorites was patrolling. One of the students (including myself) would write up a "patrol order", specifying equipment to bring, as well as specific roles for other students. The day of the exercise, we'd take buses out to a remote area that we hadn't encountered in previous exercises, and be dropped off...only to find that some students had not brought the specified equipment. In one instance, the gear list specified that everyone bring a poncho, but only about half of the students showed up with ponchos...and there was no, "hey, give me a sec, I'll be right back." One time, the student who was supposed to be the navigator for the patrol showed up without a compass. 

About 20 yrs later, I'm on an IR engagement, one on which the customer very specifically asked me to be an advisor to his team; rather than doing all the work myself, guide his team in the approach, providing "knowledge transfer" throughout the process. At one point, I went to an administrator and asked him to copy the Event Log files from an XP system, onto a thumb drive. I was very specific about my request; I specifically stated that I did not want them to open the Event Viewer and export the contents to text. Instead, I needed him to copy the files to the thumb drive, preserving their original format. After acknowledging that they understood, I went off to complete another task, collecting the thumb drive when I returned. Later that night in my hotel room, before shutting down for the evening, I wanted to take a look at the data (follow a hunch) so I tried to access the copied files with my tools, assuming that my request had been followed; none of them worked. I opened the files in a hex editor, only to see that the administrator had exported the contents of the Event Logs to text, and renamed the output files the the ".evt" extension. 

The lesson here is that, even in the face of leadership (be it "good" or "bad"), there's an element of followership. People have a choice...if they don't understand, they can choose (or not) to ask for help. Or, they can choose to follow the request or guidance, or not. Given that, if something has a material impact on the outcome of your engagement or project, consider doing that thing yourself, or closely supervising it. Be thankful when things go right, and be especially grateful when someone involved sees an issue and shares their justification for doing something other than what was requested. However, you need to also be ready for those instances where things do not go as requested, because it will happen at some point.

Let's do more than just study history. Let's dig into it intentionally, with purpose, and develop and learn from those lessons.

No comments: