Thursday, September 15, 2005

Not your everyday Perl on Windows

I program Perl. I program Perl on Windows systems. My Perl scripts don't usually do general stuff like file manipulation; ie, open a file containing lines of text, read in the lines, sort/manipulate the lines in some manner.

I've written scripts the implement the Windows Management Interface (WMI), and the Windows Driver Model (WDM).

I've written scripts that open and parse files in binary mode; ie, the Registry and Event Log files, as well as PE headers.

I've written scripts that use the Perl API, or directly access the Windows API, and I've completely bypassed the Windows API all together.

I'm not an expert...I see myself simply as trying really hard. And I find myself wondering if others want to see what I've done...not just the code, but the process I've gone through.

Is this something others are interested in seeing? If so, in what format?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

would definitely like to see some of this.

well-commented code could serve both purposes to some extent. Having the code is most important, IMO.

Sounds I'm sort of in the same boat as you when it comes to hacking stuff together in Perl. I'm no Perl expert or programming guru, but I can hack things together to get the job done. I'm sure a real programmer would cringe at some of the things I end up with, but I don't care. :) "Whatever works" is my policy for stuff like that.

H. Carvey said...

I hear ya...I'm somewhere between a "hacker" and a real programmer. I like to get things working, and then go back and clean it up a bit, particularly if doing so will either clean up the code and make it more understandable, or remove inefficiencies.

So...what format would you like to see this in? Just post the code to the 'Net somewhere for download?

Anonymous said...

I would be interested in seeing some of this as well. It’s been some time since I have done any Perl, but some of these scripts might go a long way as an example for using the right tool for the job. I would definitely be interested in seeing some of the Registry manipulations you have done, I imagine that Perl would be pretty good at that with its string handling...

H. Carvey said...

DA,

I would definitely be interested in seeing some of the Registry manipulations you have done, I imagine that Perl would be pretty good at that with its string handling...

Well, all I can say is that the scripts are available for download. I can't say that they do "Registry manipulations"...b/c they don't. They simply parse the Registry. However, handling the various data types is well documented. If you review the code and still have questions, let me know.